Monday, April 23, 2012

Continuation of our journey!!

I haven't been on here in awhile. The last post I left was a very bad day for me, but I am feeling better now. I believe the post before that was a stop on our journey so I can continue from there. We had left the doctor's office in pain and moved on to the start of seeing an OB/GYN for the question of our infertility. Since I had missed my period, I was put on a hormone to jump start it again, I don't remember every detail about the journey and each of the steps from the beginning.

I found a dr in St. Peters because I refuse to see any of the doctors around where I live nor do I plan on going to the hospital in my area. I have heard or seen too much that I just do not like at all, I want a hospital that cares!! That is a whole different post so back on subject now!!

We went to see the OB/GYN to talk about our options and what our steps would be, she asked the usual questions, what we had tried, how long we had tried, etc etc. Explained not pregnant after a year of no protection or birth control, been through the ovulation tests, and I think that was it at the time, you might even be able to throw in taking prenatal vitamins. Many of things that I had read online during my search for the dream of becoming a mother.

The first thing that she had us try was the basal method, which is waking up and immediately taking your temperature while charting it and if there is a slight increase then have sex like rabbits. That didn't work, I believe that she asked if I had been tested for PCOS. I told her yes that my regular doctor had blood drawn but that the results showed nothing. She stated that I had the symptoms and that outweighs the blood work results. That started my PCOS diagnosis and from there the next steps took place.

I believe that the first month we started testing I had to get blood drawn so many days after my period started to test if I was ovulating on my own. The test confirmed that I was not so we started on Clomid, a medicine that causes your body to ovulate. This is the best part of the whole process, not!!

This part is actually the most stressful in my opinion. The day your period starts, you call the doctor to tell them, they call in your medicine, five days after your period starts you take the pills, so day 5-10 your taking the Clomid then days 10-20 your having sex every other day whether you want to or not, then I think the following week you have your blood drawn to see if your body ovulated. My hormone levels skyrocketed the first trial, I think they were in the 40s if I remember right. The nurse said good is 10, 20 is excellent so 40 was amazing and I think she thought I would become pregnant that month. You then have to wait, think you are feeling symptoms that are not really there and then suddenly your period comes and you go through the disappoinment and start the process again.

Next month same process although my numbers were no where close to what they needed to be this time, my nurse was just as disapointed as me. She didn't understand so we tried another time. This last time numbers higher but not as high as the first time, excitement and then lo and behold disappointment on the same try.

The next step was to test my husband's little swimmers. This was not fun at all, I tried to be supportive by being there, and helping, to the best of my ability but it was still "traumatic" for him!! We went to a place in the city because my health insurance covered it and it was closer to the doctor's office, since we had an appointment later that day.

They gave him the cup in a bag, told us to go to this restroom down the hall and come back when finished. We walked down this hallway, went in the bathroom, did our thing, and while finishing up there comes a knock on the door, several times too by the way. We come out and drop off the sample and leave for our doctors appointment.

We met a new doctor this visit because our other doctor left that practice and I did not want to move offices in the middle of what I was going through. Dr. Matusek was great, felt like someone that we could sit around our backyard with and drink some beer. She was laid back, didn't watch her language, when she shaked Keith's hand she remembered what he had just done previously and made a comment about that too!! She has infertility issues also, so that was helpful, she explained everything to us, what PCOS is, our other options such as adoption, shopping for new "swimmers", so on and so forth.

She decided that I had PCOS and since our three trials of Clomid weren't successful she wanted us to take a "break" and start on some Metformin. This medicine is actually used for diabetes but helps to regulate my hormones. They also tested his swimmers while we were on the break, another bump in the road came along about his swimmers. There were plenty of them but they were half dead so the results were not good at all because the place tested them after the 30 min window that they are alive.

We took that much needed break from our journey, started the meds (which suck by the way), and went in for another try...............

No comments:

Post a Comment